Wednesday, November 9, 2011

DELL LATITUDE E6420

I have moved to a new laptop after four and half years of my association with an HP laptop (Compaq nx6310). I have been provided with a new DELL Latitude (E6420). The machine is sleek and I have moved up in the 'eyes of the beholder'.

I had asked for a dual boot option and the administrator conceded by giving a Windows 7 Professoinal (without admin rights) with unformatted(free) 180GB space. The next thing I did was to fetch my old CentOS 5.4(Final) DVD and install it.

The installation went smooth however the trouble started after that. The machine didn't recognise the network card and most of the other things present on my mother board. Here's how I fixed it.

  • Windows 7 partition had no problems in connecting to my LAN.
  • I tried booting Ubuntu 11.04 using a USB drive and it worked. I could connect to the network with that. This reduced my search to a compatible network driver within CentOS.
  • I got the driver details here.
  • Downloading and installing as mentioned in this README fixed it.

Once connected to the network I updated my OS to the latest (CentOS 5.7).

This blog helped me move from CentOS 5.4 to 5.7.

No comments:

Post a Comment